Thanksgivings is dinner is often a fun, memorable, and spent with loved ones. While the actual meal always seems to be over in a flash, the preparation can be time-consuming and a little crazy.
One way to avoid this feeling of craziness is to make sure that you are eating throughout the day, starting with breakfast. This will help keep your energy levels up and avoid any hungry-related meltdowns (from you or your family). Can’t promise this oatmeal will help with any other meltdowns 😉
In the spirit of keeping it easy, and because I love cooking in my crockpot… I give your Crockpot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal. Basically, you can throw everything in your crockpot the night before and let it cook while you sleep. It will make your house smell amazing and breakfast will ready when you wake up. You can also make the oatmeal ahead of time and reheat it on Thanksgiving morning.
One thing to note about oatmeal is to consume some protein with it. Nuts, seeds, nut butter, or animal protein (bacon, sausage, etc.) can be paired with oatmeal. Also, there is no sugar (besides the apples) in this oatmeal.
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1-cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup of milk (animal or nut based)
- 3 cups of water
- Chop apples and put in crockpot.
- Add cinnamon, steel cut oats, milk, and water.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Turn crockpot on low and cook for 6 hours or until most the liquid is gone and oatmeal is gooey.
- Almonds or other nuts, chopped
- Nut Butters (mix in with finished oatmeal)
- Sarah's Pumpkin Spiced Trail Mix
Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving breakfast? Post it below!