We enjoyed the most amazing ham this year for Easter and although most of it got eaten I had this huge ham bone with tons of meat left on it I didn’t want to go to waste. Eric had talked about wanting some split pea soup. Working full time I don’t have a lot of time leftover to do a lot of cooking so I decided to try making it in the crockpot. It turned out so delicious!
You only need a handful of ingredients and you can leave it all day.
- 1 (16 ounce bag) green split peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 carrots, chopped small
- 2 ribs celery, chopped small
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1. Layer ingredients over the ham bone, in the slow cooker adding the chicken broth and bay leaf last. Cover and cook on HIGH for 7 to 8 hours.
- 2. Stir occasionally so the peas don't stick to the sides. When peas are tender, remove the ham bone and bay leaf.
- 3. Enjoy! This soup freezes well. Thaw overnight before enjoying again!
How was your Easter? Have you made it through your leftovers yet?
-Crystal & the Bean